The Platform for the Electrification of Surface Transport sees electrification as a key way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transport and to reduce the dependence of the European Union on imported oil. In their common statement published today, the eleven organisations call upon public authorities to support the further electrification of surface transport on the basis of a multi-modal approach. The joint statement is attached.
Member of the European Parliament (MEP) Gesine Meissner states:
The vision of the Platform is to aim for fully electrified door-to-door multimodal transport solutions. This is an exciting prospect for European citizens and businesses, with significant growth and employment prospects.”
MEP Gesine Meissner will give the opening remarks, followed by
- Hans ten Berge, Secretary General of EURELECTRIC
- Libor Lochman, Executive Director of CER.
This will be followed by a panel discussion with:
- Daniela Rosca, Head of Unit C1 (Clean Transport and Sustainable Urban Mobility), DG MOVE, European Commission;
- Olivier Paturet, General Manager, Zero Emissions Strategy, Nissan Europe;
- Alain Berger, Vice-President for European Affairs and Head of Brussels office, Alstom;
- Alain Flausch, General Secretary, International Association of Public Transport (UITP), and
- Joost van Gils, Vice-Director Economic Development and Mobility, Province of North Brabant, the Netherlands, representing Polis.
The discussion will be moderated by Joeri van Mierlo, Vice-President of AVERE.